Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know AsRock mainboard with AMI UEFI `post code 99`???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know AsRock mainboard with AMI UEFI `post code 99`???????

At computer startup there are `running` some numbers in the lower right corner of the screen...
    What does it mean when it freezes at number '99' and doesn't continue to boot?

(64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support)

Re: Anyone know AsRock mainboard with AMI UEFI `post code 99`???????

The 99 you see is a POST code that is displayed when one part of the overall POST process fails, and indicates which particular process failed.

The description for code 99 is this:

Problem related to PCI-E devices. Please re-install PCI-E
    devices or try installing them in other slots. If the problem
    still exists, please remove all PCI-E devices or try using
    another VGA card.

Comment

Thanks for the info -> so it is exactly what i described (MB is unable to accept PCIe card)...

But i tried other cards, with different chipset and in all possible slots -> nothing helps and what can i do more???

Isn't it terrible? It's not some random issue related to very specific uncompatible combination of hardware -> it is serious PCIe implementation problem...

Can at least someone from AsRock tell me WHICH USB 3.0 controller is ABLE TO WORK in their hardware????

Comment

Can you please tell us the exact model of the MB you have and we assume you are trying to add a USB 3.0 port card.

Details are important since some PCI-e cards have different drivers than others and the interaction between the MB and add-on cards can be tough. However, it seems you know that...

I have several cards that have worked in my systems prior to my updating to newer MB's.

Please help us help you.

PS. Have been to Slovakia many times, mostly to Bratislava, but also other cities, where are you located?
        Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-16-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

From another thread by the OP, he should be referring to an ASRock P67 Pro: ASRock > P67 Pro

When the USB 3.0 cards don't work, do you see anything in Device Manager? What happens when you try to install their drivers?

With one of the USB 3.0 cards installed, start a Windows CMD prompt and type in msinfo32 and press enter. Some of the categories displayed (Problem Devices) may give you clues about what is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
            Can you please tell us the exact model of the MB you have and we assume you are trying to add a USB 3.0 port card.

Details are important since some PCI-e cards have different drivers than others and the interaction between the MB and add-on cards can be tough. However, it seems you know that...

I have several cards that have worked in my systems prior to my updating to newer MB's.

Please help us help you.

PS. Have been to Slovakia many times, mostly to Bratislava, but also other cities, where are you located?
            Like is mentioned here by Parsec and in other thread - the boards is P67 PRO :
            ASRock > P67 Pro

Drivers, OS and other software possibilities are `out of question` in this case -> it hangs even before you can enter UEFI setup with `99` in the corner of the screen :o(
            (when any USB PCIe controller present in any slot - i can just take it out)

PS. Thanks for asking, I'm located right in Bratislava :o)

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              From another thread by the OP, he should be referring to an ASRock P67 Pro: ASRock > P67 Pro

When the USB 3.0 cards don't work, do you see anything in Device Manager? What happens when you try to install their drivers?

With one of the USB 3.0 cards installed, start a Windows CMD prompt and type in msinfo32 and press enter. Some of the categories displayed (Problem Devices) may give you clues about what is wrong.
              There is nothing to do in this area -> as i mentioned:
              if any of the USB controller was plugged into any PCIe port -> then computer just immediately hangs after powering with `99` in the corner of screen, so booting to any OS is out of question (even getting to UEFI setup is impossible)

And with controllers out of MB there is logicaly no trace of them any any OS ;o)

Comment

OK so step, by step.

Your MB doesn't have onboard graphics so presumably you have a PCIE graphics card installed. That suggests that PCIE implementation is working.
                You state the issue is with your combinations of PCIE USB 3.0 cards, so they cause this issue when installed in PCI1, not PCI2 (used for graphics), PCI3 and PCI4 with that in mind with the 99 error as explained by parsec, I would still be looking at suspect PCIE add-in cards.

Do you have a friend that could loan you any known to work PCIE card that you could check in your system?

just for fun , how is USB 2.0 Setup, from your manual

Legacy USB Support
                Use this option to select legacy support for USB devices. There are four
                configuration options: [Enabled], [Auto], [Disabled] and [UEFI Setup Only].
                The default value is [Enabled]. Please refer to below descriptions for the
                details of these four options:
                [Enabled] - Enables support for legacy USB.
                [Auto] - Enables legacy support if USB devices are connected.
                [Disabled] - USB devices are not allowed to use under legacy OS and
                UEFI setup when [Disabled] is selected. If you have USB compatibility issue,
                it is recommended to select [Disabled] to enter OS.
                [UEFI Setup Only] - USB devices are allowed to use only under UEFI
                setup and Windows / Linux OS.

Comment

Unfortunately disabling USB support doesn't change anything (still stuck with 99 code)...

It makes sense, because mainboard is unable to initialise PCIe device at all - and i'm affraid it doesn't matter it is USB controller in this case

Comment

Working...
                  X